It is easy to become blasé about the impact your day to day business can have on the environment but with a few minor changes to the way we work and behave, turning your event into an environmentally friendly one is actually quite simple.
Below are a number of points you could consider when planning your event; use it as a checklist before finalising event details to ensure you are doing your best to ‘Green Your Event’.
Preparing for your event
- Try not to over produce your event materials; you can always photocopy more should additional delegates arrive
- Send out joining instructions and directions etc electronically to avoid wasting paper
- Try to communicate with attendees electronically to avoid wasting paper and to reduce transportation of mail
- Print your paperwork double-sided where possible to cut down on paper usage
Getting to your event
- Where possible promote the use of public transport to your attendees. Bury St Edmunds station is only a 10 minute walk from the town centre and a very frequent bus service operates locally. Where public transport in not an option try promoting a car-sharing scheme
- Ensure windows are kept closed while radiators are on. Use the windows when cooler air is required
- Switch off lights when the room is not in use and where possible use natural daylight as opposed to artificial lighting
- Switch off all AV/IT equipment when not in use; even leaving equipment in ‘stand-by’ mode can waste valuable energy
- Use scrap paper where possible for notes
- Place all used/unwanted paper in the centre of the tables at the end of your event; this will automatically be recycled
- Try to re-use plastic cups throughout the day
- Request jugs of iced tap water rather than bottled mineral water
- Where possible request that menus are locally-sourced and from sustainable sources
Remember that everyone is responsible for doing their bit.
As part of the Sodexo Sustainability Policy, we prioritise reducing energy usage and protect our environment over cutting costs.
Thank you for your help.